Skip to main content

Ted Szukalski

Gallery of fine art photography.

What language do you speak?


Australia is a multicultural country with fifth of its population born abroad. The people here speak many languages other then English.

Having a blog on the Internet poses an issue of understanding. I have visitors from all over the world but do they even remotely understand what my pictures and their caption relate to?

Over the weekend I have added a new feature the this photo blog: a language translation. This is an automatic translation tool powered by Google and the results may differ from language to language but I figured out this is better than nothing for these visitors who view my blog and do not understand English.

The language translation toolbar is an experiment only at this stage and I will decide if I should keep it after a while when I can review its usage statistics.

Adopting my blog to HTML 5


I am continuing changes to this photo blog with further adoption of HTML 5.

So far I have turned each post to an <article>, the sidebar is now <aside> and menus use the <nav> tag. I still use a lot of <div> tags to support the visual presentation. Admitedly it is a compromise. I have also converted the pagination links at the bottom of the page to a <nav>.

A more interesting change is to wrap each photograph in a <figure> tag and include <legend> tag inside to describe the photograph. I will be watching the performace of this combination with great interest, as there is no other way in any version of HTML to markup images in a sematic way.

Finally a lot of effort went into turning sequential output from WordPress of tags into an unordered list. It may be a small thing, but tags are just a list of links and should be groupped accordingly.

There are certain behaviours in WordPress that prevent me from some changes. Namely, I still have to wrap my photograph’s <figure> tag in a <div> tag otherwise WordPress inserts automatically a <p> tag, which is very annoying. I need to find the logic in the WordPress code and make all (including the new HTML5 tags) block elements exceptions from this behaviour.

I also need to figure out how to get Web Slices to work with HTML 5. It will depend on how IE8 treats the Web Slices markup. If it is purely class based, it should be relatively easy. However if it pairs up <div> tags and named classes than I won’t be able to do this and will have to keep old wrapping <div> structures.