Story behind the photograph
The Queen Victoria Building, often referred to as the QVB, was designed by George McRae. The building was completed in 1898.
The QVB occupies an entire city block between George, Market, York and Druitt Streets. The centre dome is the dominant feature, consisting of an inner glass and an exterior copper dome. Glorious stained glass windows are plentiful throughout the building. There are marvelous hanging clocks.
In 1984 QVB was completely refurbished as a shopping centre, probably the prettiest one in the world at the very least it certainly is the most stylish.
Added Clocktower North
Added Clocktower South
Added Stained glass East
Added Stained glass-West